Pharmaceutical / Medical / Cosmetic
Features and benefits of PTFE
- Inert to almost all known chemicals
- Non sticky and easily cleaned due to the lowest coefficient of friction known; resists absorption of cleaning chemicals (COP, CIP)
- Permanently resistant to steam sterilization (SIP)
- Ability to handle a wide temperature variance: -60⁰C to +260⁰C
- PTFE is non-reactive, there are no corrosion by-products or extractables that contaminate processes; hence, no change in taste, odour or colour
- FDA approved and meets USP CLASS VI
- Available with FDA Approved Carbon to allow electrostatic release
- Good transparency
- Superior resistance to Flex Fatigue
- Longer Service Life
The Pharmaceutical industry develops, produces and markets drugs or pharmaceutical drugs for use as medications; the products are usually chemically synthesized with organic solvents. The medical industry basically cures human beings and animals, the products are usually equipment transferring organic and non organic fluids. The cosmetic industry develops, produces and markets substances to enhance or alter the appearance of the body and face. These products are generally mixtures of chemical compounds, some derived from natural sources and other synthetics.
High purity and sanitation are key focuses for these industries.
The unique properties of PTFE creates many benefits for the companies operating in these industries. Unlike Stainless Steel, PTFE doesn’t require passivation or Electro-Polishing. Unlike Glass, PTFE isn’t subject to cracking or crazing and rarely requires repair. Furthermore, unlike Silicon hoses, PTFE is chemically inert, non-reactive and permanently resistant to steam sterilisation (SIP) and in-place cleaning (CIP).
Validation of a new or modified process takes less time with PTFE hoses, because the system cleaning is faster due to PTFE surfaces being smooth and nonwetting; these surfaces resist biofilm and process material buildup, and there are no transitory chemical interactions with PTFE during operations or startup.